1. PATIENT INFORMATION
1) Gender and Age:Male (67)
2) Nationality:United Arab Emirates (UAE)
2. PATIENT MEDICAL INFORMATION
1) Diagnosis: Vertebral burst fracture with spinal cord injury, lumbar 1
2) Pre-existing conditions: Diabetes, High Blood pressure, hyperlipidemia, osteoporosis.
3) Medical History in home country:
In November 2013, the patient underwent percutaneous vertebroplasty in India, due to lumbar spine fracture after falling down. The patient was able to move around using a walker after the surgery, but in February 2014, the patient felt increased weakness, and the patient was not able to walk. Then thoracic myelopathy with postural kyphosis occurred, and the patient was unable to urinate by himself and due to long period of bed rest, the patient developed contracture in both knees. The patient needed additional spine surgery and continuous rehabilitation treatments at Dubai Neuro Spinal Hospital, but due to the patient’s pre exiting conditions, the patient was referred to Seoul National University Bundang Hospital.
3. PATIENT TREATMENT INFORMATION
1) First visit to SNUBH: August 29th, 2014.
Neuro Spinal Hospital in Dubai to Seoul National University Bundang Hospital.
2) Operation Name: Nerve decompression and vertebral body reconstruction
3) TREATMENT PROGRESS
The patient arrived by a stretcher accompanied by a medical escort, and on the day of arrival, the patient was transferred to the hospital by an ambulance, and was admitted right away by the Neurosurgery Department. On the day of admission, all the necessary examinations before the surgery were performed, and on the third day of admission, nerve decompression and vertebral body reconstruction operation were performed. After the operation, the patient was referred to Rehabilitation Department to receive intensive rehabilitation treatments for both knee contracture, sitting position balance and wheel chair ambulation. The patient was able to sit by himself, and was able to use a wheelchair, so after discharge he went back to U.A.E.
– Period of hospital admission: 2014.8.29. – 2014.12.17
– Operation Date: 2014.09.01